Long Trains East

Tue Aug 24 09:24:39 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Aug 23, 2010 4:01 pm
Subject: Long Trains East

I see on the Roanoke Rail Cam some long east bound freights with only 2 engines pulling - are there ever pushers added to get over the Blue Ridge grade ? And if yes, where are the pushers added ?

Thank you.

Terry Marshall
Hagerstown, MD

erry:
Since the Blue Ridge District runs behind my property, I can tell you that pushers
aren't used on eastbounds. There was a period about five years ago that NS was
doing track work on the Altavista District, so coal was diverted to Norfolk via
the Blue Ridge District and pushers were added. What really bugs me is the local.
There are days the local has 16-18 cars (loaded) and one SD40-2. One needn't be
a genius to know it's way over the tonnage rating. Harry Bundy