NW 1776 questions:

Wed May 4 18:08:01 EDT 2011

Gene,

The N&WHS journal, The Arrow, has had a couple of articles (Vol. 19, No. 1, Jan/Feb 2003 and Vol. 24, No. 3, July-Sept. 2008) on the N&W's Centennial locomotive, No. 1776. In the former issue Bob Bowers lists a chronology of the 1776 which answers most of your questions as follows:
1) Was the SD45 renumbered to 1776?
Yes
2) When was the unit repainted?
5/74
Was this done in Roanoke?
Yes, Roanoke Shops paint shop
3) When was the unit officially retired?
2/29/88
4) Who is the official owner of the unit?
Donated to VMT 4/4/91
Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:19 PM
Subject: NW 1776 questions: