Portsmouth, Ohio Passenger Station

Sun May 8 16:10:57 EDT 2011

A while back, you noted the demise of the Portsmouth, Ohio Passenger
Station. I responded with a letter noting my memories of the
station. I lamented the fact that I had lost some pictures of the
1937 flood where the water was at the level of the train roofs and
showed men disembarking rowboats to walk on the roofs to get to the
building interior.

I just stumbled on a YouTube clip of the 1937 flood which included a
few seconds of station footage showing the high water. The selection
is long (32 minutes), but here are the relevant locations:
0:29, 11:36, 13:47, and 14:09.

The footage at 13:47 shows the trackside (back) of the station with
what looks like a motorboat moored to the train roof. The dark,
windowed building projection was the CTC control and observation room.

http://youtu.be/XbTKBSZeFXw

Jim Beaver