Questions about N&W's ORDER 19 in Operating Rules during 1920s, etc.

Sun May 8 16:54:22 EDT 2011

Harry ~
It seems to me that the pocket size book N&W Operating Rules (rubber
stamped 41075, 128 pages) must not be the only RULES BOOK in use by N&W
years ago. I can't find any mention of Form 19 train orders in my book. There
must be some explanation. Thanks for all your helpful input ~ Don

In a message dated 5/7/2011 10:51:26 Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

QUESTION 1. I have a copy of an N&W Operating Rules handbook issued to
employees January 1, 1967. Am I right to assume that what appears to be a
commonly used "19 train order" in 1920 must was defined somewhere else, or no
longer in effect in 1967?
The Form 19 train order was still in effect on Jan. 1, 1967. Bear in mind
that the Form 19 was not
only for meets, but issued for temporary speed restrictions, bulletins,
annullments etc. There was one modification made after 1967. Prior to that
time, the train of superior class or direction held the main track at the
meeting point-PERIOD. Now IF the superior train was to take siding it had to
be specified in the train
order. Following a head end collision at a meeting point (on the Durham
Subdivision as I recall) rules were modified so that any meet order issued
must designate which train would take siding.

QUESTION 2. Can someone provide me with the actual language of 19 train
order as it would have read in 1920 and explain how and when it was routinely
applied?
The train order appearing in the report IS the correct format for issuing
a meet order in 1920 and probably
remained in effect until the end of train orders. Many can't appreciate
the efficiency of Traffic Control.
I have one SLSF train order issued to a westbound in single track-ABS
territory which contains 12 meets.
Keeping up with that many meets is a strain on the memory bank -- and what
happens if one of the
trains "falls down".

QUESTION 3. Would the tail end of No. 37 being still out on the main track
,east of the east switch, have caused signal B-3502 to automatically go
into the STOP position?
It would seem there would have been a signal west of the east siding
switch so that east bound trains
could determine that the turnout was lined for the main track. If that
were the case, sig. B-3502 would
have displayed "approach". Note, though, that there was track work in the
vicinity of sig. B-3502 and
this may have caused the signal to display "stop". Harry Bundy