early N&W operation in Washington, DC ??

Tue Nov 8 18:18:34 EST 2011

I seen occasional references in the 1890-1900 era of N&W train
operations in the Washington, DC scene. If this correct via which
railroad and which gateway did such things occur ?? The references are
a little bit here and there and I can't cite where I have seen them
but I have read about such things and by the wording I saw at the time
it appeared to be a regular operation, not the occasional special move
for some sort of excursion.

The basic choices for gateways are: RF&P from Richmond, Southern via
either Lynchburg or Riverton to Manassas, and B&O via Shenandoah
Junction, which is where I would like to think it came through, if it
did. I have eliminated Hagerstown as it would have entailed the
Washington County Branch to Weverton and I believe the bridges were
pretty light-loading. I also know the line from Riverton to Manassas
had a similar problem. All of this is why I am leaning towards
Shenandoah Jct., for what if anything occurred. Any other routing
would have really been circuitous and wouldn't have happened, like
coming through Waynesboro via C&O and somehow using their trackage
agreement from Orange to DC.

Were they considering being a part of the Pot Yard consortium and
either pulled out or were eliminated for some reason? Lots of
questions but no real clues here.

Bob Cohen