N&W in 1912--New branch

NW Mailing List nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Sun May 6 10:11:40 EDT 2012

Surveys for the North Fork of Tug Fork Branch began in January 1910 and
construction contracts were let in April 1910. Pocahontas Consolidated
Collieries Company (renamed Pocahontas Fuel Company in 1917) built its No. 6
and No 7 Operations on the main portion of the branch and its No. 8
Operation on the Ballard Harmon Spur of the branch line. NWHS newest Branch
Line book, "Tug Fork," covers the construction of North Fork of Tug Fork
Branch and includes some never before published pictures and maps about the
branch. "Tug Fork" is going to the printers the week of May 14 and is
currently available on the NWHS website at a pre-publication price.

Alex Schust

From: nw-mailing-list-bounces at nwhs.org
[mailto:nw-mailing-list-bounces at nwhs.org] On Behalf Of NW Mailing List
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 10:34 PM
To: 3N&W Mailing List
Subject: N&W in 1912--New branch

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
Tue., May 7, 1912



Branch Road Nearing Completion

The Northfork branch of the Tug River branch of the Norfolk and Western
will be completed within a few days and trains carrying passengers and
freight run as far as Jenkinjones, the terminal of the branch, which will
permit of the opening of two more coal mines by the Pocahontas Consolidated
Collieries Company and the addition of a large annual tonnage to the present
Norfolk and Western supply. The branch has been under construction for some


Gordon Hamilton

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/attachments/20120506/051878c1/attachment.html>

More information about the NW-Mailing-List mailing list