The J Will Run Again?

Tue Jul 10 17:22:03 EDT 2012

Norfolk Southern (Wick Moreman) has been clear that they would be willing to run 611
if someone else were to overhaul her and maintain her he has said this repeatedly at several
events over the last couple years.
The problem there is no viable organization out their to repair and operate the 611. VMT's
capabilities are few to none. No offense intended. If they had the know how and capabilities
that TVRM has . We would be in business.
Sure NS could have got 611 running far cheaper than the money their spending on the 4501
But do you think TVRM or say FWRHS would be interested in fixing someone else's locomotive
when they have their own organizations and locomotives to worry about. If NS were going to run
a steam program their self as in the past I am sure 611 would be their first choice.
But this program appears to be more of a partner ship with TVRM and FWRHS than their own program.
Their is no boiler time left on 611 got to do the whole 1492 day thing just like everyone else.
If you wanting to run 611 you need to build an organization or fix one and find a lot of money. My
guess would be around $800.000. Just my thoughts.

Larry Evans
Kenova,WV

Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 10:01 PM
Subject: The J Will Run Again?

According to WDBJ (channel 7 in Roanoke), the 611 could roll on Norfolk Southern rails again if someone ponies up some cash.

Built in 1950 and overhauled in the early 80s, the 611 last operated under its own power in 1994. Transportation Museum Executive Director Bev Fitzpatrick says it could happen again. "The Norfolk Southern has said they will allow it to run on their rails," Fitzpatrick said in an interview. "What we need is someone who would be able to get it fixed and then pay for it to operate."

As far as I know, this is the first I've heard that NS was willing to let the J put her drivers on its iron, but that doesn't mean that hasn't been put out there already. Now all we need is a good estimate of what it would cost to put her back into running condition. Based on what I saw posted recently (here?) about the work being done to revive the 4501 (including adding a stocker that it didn't have), it seems that it would have been quicker and easier to work over the 611. It was in running condition when it went into the museum and probably still had time on its boiler.

See <http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-rail-excursions-raise-hope-for-return-of-the-611-20120709,0,6720033.story> or <http://tinyurl.com/cloulun> for the story.

Bruce in Blacksburg