Engine coal question

Mon Jul 23 12:06:07 EDT 2012

Bernie Hylton asked:

> What was the distribution channel that moved the coal eastward so that

> the AM&O could use it?~~Bernie Hylton

>> Re: The question of where the N&W got coal for its locomotives prior

>> to the opening of the Pocahontas Coal Field

>>The Jan. 6, 1877 edition of "The Engineering and Mining Journal"

>> states that coal from the Coalburg Mines was used by the Atlantic,

>> Mississippi & Ohio Railroad (predecessor to the N&W Ry.) as a

>> locomotive fuel.

The Chesapeake & Ohio was completed between Richmond, VA and Huntington, WV
in 1873. I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject of interchange points
between the C&O and N&W circa 1877. The N&W was then of course the Atlantic,
Mississippi & Ohio. Would connection have been possible between the C&O at
*Charlottesville* and the AM&O at Lynchburg via the Orange & Alexandria
(which by 1877 would have been the Virginia Midland, perhaps?) Or between
the C&O at Richmond and the AM&O at Petersburg via the ??? (what was name
of the rail line between Petersburg and Richmond in 1877?) Maybe someone
more knowledgeable will weigh in on the subject...

C. Lloyd in W.Va.
... You can always reach me via email me here:
http://www.wvwebsites.com/contactus.php