Progress

Tue Nov 20 12:39:20 EST 2012

Thanks, Jeff. I've since heard that VA is paying most of the tab for the
option of adding passenger service in the future, including wide track
centers to allow for platforms. Happy Thanksgiving.

Grant Carpenter

> Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 13:05:38 -0800 (PST)

> Subject: Re: Progressn; charset="iso-8859-1"

> Grant,

> ?

> While I am not privy to the details, basically, most of the

tracks?running through the area just behind the O.Winston Link Museum
(former N&W passenger station) will be re-aligned to permit faster runnung
for trains operating through that area (now a "bottleneck"). This will
allieviate a lot of congestion in the area.?Presently, trains running to &
from the north, east and south must pass through this area very slowly? due
to many crossovers, and signals. I understand that the new layout will
provide longer switches and crossovers,?to permit?faster running, and the
re-alignment of most tracks, and signals?in order to accomplish this.

> ?

> This area is refered to on the railroad as Randolph Street interlocking.

While now controlled by the Roanoke Dispatcher form the Dispatch center in
Roanoke, at one time the area was controlled by a "Leverman" in the
Randolph St. Tower. That "tower" is still standing, just east of Randolph
St. (present day Williamson Rd.), but will be demolished in order to
accomplish the re-alignment of some of the tracks. Get your photos NOW.

&