NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 88, Issue 39

Tue Nov 27 07:14:53 EST 2012

I'll stand corrected on this but I thought the Crescent was taken over
by Amtrak in February 1979? Also, as mentioned, the D&RGW didn't join
Amtrak initially either. Anyone "Remember the Rock?" I thought they,
too didn't initially join up in 1971.

As for the date on the photo, there is another possible explanation IF
the date is accurate: some sort of temporary diversion. That's my 2
cents worth.

Bob Cohen

Subject: N&W/Southern thru passenger service

> Not to be forgotten, my list friends, is that the Southern ran their three Lynchburg trains well after Amtrak started. Without looking up dates, the Lynchburg Special (the remnant of the Birmingham Special or Tennessean) was cancelled first. The Piedmont, an SR Washington/Atlanta (?) only train was next. The Southern Crescent survived by becoming part of AMTRAK in the fall of '78. The D&RGW was the only (I think) other RR to keep their regularly scheduled passenger trains after AMTRAK.

> Charlie Long

> Lynchburg, VA

N&W/Southern thru passenger service