Coleman Place - Norfolk, VA

Tue Nov 27 10:33:04 EST 2012

Does anyone know the origin of this name? I know it's a neighborhood in Norfolk, but how did the name come about? I can only presume it was named after a person, but does anyone know for sure? I've talked to folks at the Norfolk Public Library and Coleman Place Elementary School and none of them had a clue.

For those unfamiliar with Coleman Place, it was one of two locations in Norfolk where the Norfolk Southern Railway crossed the Virginian at grade.
http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail2.php?ID=77537

Jeff Hawkins