Boaz siding

Tue Dec 11 16:32:17 EST 2012

This prompts a question I have been meaning to ask for a couple months now.
When was the VGN east of Abilene abandoned? I found a few 1963 USGS maps
from the area and they show the Railroad labeled as Norfolk and Western.
But it seemed off to me that N&W would have kept it. Also what actually
became of the ROW after abandonment? Is it a biking or hiking trail?

Nathan

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM, NW Mailing List
<nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>wrote:

> I'd venture a guess that Boaz siding was removed shortly after the 1959

> acquisition of the Virginian. At that point there was no need for the N&W

> to operate loaded coal trains over Blue Ridge Grade since they could now

> utilize the former Virginian mainline east of Roanoke with the new (at the

> time) connection at Abilene.

> To the best of my knowledge, Tinker Creek Connection was also constructed

> immediately following the N&W/VGN merger.

> Jeff Hawkins

> *Sent: *Monday, December 10, 2012 12:27:53 PM

> *Subject: *RE: Boaz siding

> Hey Bruce,

> I guess that wasn't you that went with me so many years ago (1980?) to look

> for Boaz and with some 1950's photos, found features marking both ends of

> the spur. The west end of track was near the east end of a short 3/4

> degree right curve in the main and the switch was at Bridge #96, a

> glorified culvert distinguished by steel pipe handrailing (as of 1980) just

> west of MP N254. Recently published photos more clearly show the point of

> switch virtually on the bridge. I remember marveling at just how much the

> site had been sanitized.

> Anyone know when the spur was taken out of service? Did it ever see diesel

> pushers or were they put on in Roanoke? The timing would have to depend on

> the end of steam and EB tonnage being diverted to the VGN side (crossover

> installs at Kellysville or Tinker Creek and Abilene)(?).

> Grant Carpenter

Nathan Simmons
trainman51 at gmail.com
http://www.t-51.org