Boaz siding

Tue Dec 11 17:33:38 EST 2012

Nathan -

For the most part, through trains ceased to utilize the Virginian east of Abilene once the connection was built after the merger. The exception being locals that served remaining businesses along the line. With a few exceptions, all of the track was removed and most of the right of way is now overgrown. CSX operates the Jarratt Spur, which is 1.5 miles of the former Virginian in Jarratt to service the Georgia Pacific chip mill. The rails are still in place from Algren to around Cavalier Boulevard in Chesapeake but this portion is not in use. From this point eastward, the mainline is still in use to West Junction near Naval Station Norfolk and NIT.

State records indicate the following abandonments:

Algren to Kenyon (12.70 miles) - March 19, 1991
Kenyon to Boaz (5.20 miles) - September 20, 1985
Boaz to Jarratt (40 miles) - October 5, 1977
Jarratt to Briery (63.60 miles) - August 20, 1987
Briery to Abilene (4.80 miles) - June 20, 1989

I've got photos and additional information on the Virginian's First Subdivision on my website.
http://www.railsinvirginia.com/abandoned/virginian/norfolk_division.html

Jeff Hawkins

Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:32:17 PM
Subject: Re: Boaz siding

This prompts a question I have been meaning to ask for a couple months now. When was the VGN east of Abilene abandoned? I found a few 1963 USGS maps from the area and they show the Railroad labeled as Norfolk and Western. But it seemed off to me that N&W would have kept it. Also what actually became of the ROW after abandonment? Is it a biking or hiking trail?

Nathan

I'd venture a guess that Boaz siding was removed shortly after the 1959 acquisition of the Virginian. At that point there was no need for the N&W to operate loaded coal trains over Blue Ridge Grade since they could now utilize the former Virginian mainline east of Roanoke with the new (at the time) connection at Abilene.

To the best of my knowledge, Tinker Creek Connection was also constructed immediately following the N&W/VGN merger.

Jeff Hawkins

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2012 12:27:53 PM

Hey Bruce,

I guess that wasn't you that went with me so many years ago (1980?) to look
for Boaz and with some 1950's photos, found features marking both ends of
the spur. The west end of track was near the east end of a short 3/4
degree right curve in the main and the switch was at Bridge #96, a
glorified culvert distinguished by steel pipe handrailing (as of 1980) just
west of MP N254. Recently published photos more clearly show the point of
switch virtually on the bridge. I remember marveling at just how much the
site had been sanitized.

Anyone know when the spur was taken out of service? Did it ever see diesel
pushers or were they put on in Roanoke? The timing would have to depend on
the end of steam and EB tonnage being diverted to the VGN side (crossover
installs at Kellysville or Tinker Creek and Abilene)(?).

Grant Carpenter

Nathan Simmons
trainman51 at gmail.com
http://www.t-51.org