train today at 3:05 pm

Mon Jan 21 11:06:21 EST 2013

Jeff. Thank you mucho!!! That explains it totally. We have "chopped up construction debris" trains up here, usually in former unit coal train service high side gondolas but I don't know where the material goes. Thank you again.
Stewart F.
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: train today at 3:05 pm

Stewart,

Even though it is a little earlier than it usually runs, it sounds like you saw the "Trash Train". That is the "WasteLine Express" which is operated Mon-Fri, usually around 6-7pm. It caries the trash from Roanok & Roanoke County from the Trash Station in downtown Roanoke (at the east end of the former Roanoke Shops. The train runs to the Smith Gap Landfill, which is on a branch off the former Virginian Ry, about a 20 mile run each way. The cars are top loaded at Roanoke and rotory dumped at Smith Gap.

Jeff Sanders

Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 3:21 PM
Subject: train today at 3:05 pm

I was watching the Roanoke railcam about 3:00 pm today when I saw short "Westbound"- one unit with about 10 or so unusual cars. The light was such that I couldn't get a view of the cars not in shadow. They were "house" type cars, long maybe 60 ft. or so, round roof like old round roof baggage cars but they were high cars such as a double deck stock car might be . They also had two or three round vents on an otherwise plain roof. Any body any thoughts as to what I was seeing. They didn't look like auto racks.
Stewart Fritts