"OP" engines (WAS Re: Arrow Train Master article)

Mon Jan 21 19:08:09 EST 2013

I read somewhere that the cranks were timed so that most of the horsepower came off the lower crankshaft; perhaps that meant that lower crank also had to be the "exhaust" one.

Perhaps some folks know that British Railways' early top Diesel express locos had "Deltic" engines, which were opposed piston engines with three crankshafts arranged at the corners of a triangle, with the cylinders constituting the "sides" of the triangle. I think that they were higher-speed machines with smaller cylinder displacements than the FMs. I think that they were pretty successful and ran flat out for much of their lives.

Maybe the "Deltics" were mentioned in the Arrow article - I haven't had time to read it carefully.

pete groom