"Pole and Paddle" semaphores

Mon Aug 5 13:26:28 EDT 2013

Harry -

I spent time in Tug Tower but did not go into the field to see the near signals. Did Bob Painter say in which direction that approach signal was, and which home signal it “protected”? Did Bob say whether the signal in advance of that approach could display an “advance approach”? There might have been a short approach in the eastbound direction coming out of Farm.

I know that they got in the habit of installing “advance approach” signals where such conditions obtained.

Do you remember that, at one time, they had an “approach restricting” indication? They actually had one at Renick coming eastbound into the B&O interchange; they realized pretty quickly that it was a potentially hazardous signal to have, and discontinued its use.

EdK