1950's N&W Steam excursions

Tue Sep 10 12:48:49 EDT 2013

Jim - the use of "Big Emmas" in reference to the L&B Berkshires has some
credibility, much more than the N&W reference to "Mollies".

Years ago TRAINS magazine ran a full-issue biography of the L&N engines
written by well-known L&N historian Charles B. Castner. All throughout this
biography Castner refers to the engines as "Emmas", the implication being
that they were so called during their service lives, not just a railfan
reference.

Ron Flanary can probably tell more about that than I can, but I do remember
the TRAINS issue. Still have it, somewhere.

Castner was a meticulous historian, a darn good writer, and a pretty fair
country boogie-woogie piano player.

EdK