N&W PL to CPL conversions (was Please Put In the Interlocking Images)

Wed Sep 18 10:29:58 EDT 2013

Well Harry,

That train you mention had a favorable signal and the following switch
stand would also have shown a favorable route if I understand it
right.

Supervisor Burnett and maintainer Kercher both observed that signal
after the bond wires had been broken. I think that should explain the
Stop signal, or red signal as the maintainer described it.

Am I right?
Ben:

Right. Someone had rearranged the bond wires (and switch target) so that No. 4
received a CLEAR. The ICC's report doesn't tell you what happened after their
investigation and details are hard to come by, but maybe some of the Scioto
Division experts know more. Eventually an employee of the U.S. Postal Service
was arrested and for a brief period, he occupied the seat of applied
electricity at one of Ohio's leading institutions.

Broken bond wires were a real problem in the former Wabash MBRC territory.
The main line was laid in 115# rail and the pumping action caused many a bond
wire to break. Remembering that it could be 15 miles between signals, a train
could get a RESTRICTING and have to crawl for an hour before it got
to a more favorable indication. Harry Bundy