N&W signal route diagrams

Wed Sep 18 11:04:18 EDT 2013

Guys - the PRR protected itself against the burned out marker bulb case by making its “stop and proceed restricting” aspect with the marker lit. Its “stop and stay” was the horizontal top arm with no marker. BTW – the PRR had interlockings where the tower operator could change his “stop and stay” signals to a “stop and proceed” by lighting the marker, thus authorizing a movement to proceed after stopping. I think there were a couple of places on the Sandusky line where this was possible. Why they’d rather do that than have the operator give a “restricting” I have no idea.

The N&W, using the marker for its “stop and stay” indication, protected itself against the marker burnout by putting a small black plate with a white letter “S” beneath the signal number. That way, if the marker burned out, the letter “S” would govern and it would still be a “stop and stay”.

EdKing