Coaling Tower Capacity List?

Thu Dec 12 08:31:39 EST 2013

Bud,

Thank you for the info on Wilcoe.

Alex

Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:37 PM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: Coaling Tower Capacity List?

Alex,

Good information and I will add this to my reference files.

You mentioned the expansion in 1923-25, this was when electrification was
extended to Iaeger and Auville Yard became the exchange point for steam
powered trains from Williamson to electrics and vice versa. Thus the wye at
Iaeger served this purpose well for incoming and outgoing trains in both
directions to access Auville Yard fron the main line.

The date for the last steam dispatched from Wilcoe was April 1954.

Thanks,

Bud Jeffries

Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:46 AM

The N&W began upgrading Auville Yard in 1953 with the intention of closing
engine servicing facilities at Wilcoe Yard and expediting westbound traffic.
After the Auville yard expansion of 1923-1925, which increased the capacity
to about 1,000 cars there was actually very little room for yard expansion.
N&W announced on Oct 13, 1954, that six tracks that held 75 cars had been
extended to hold 175 cars and the yard capacity had been increased to over
1,250 cars.

N&W Drawing No. 10750-B, dated January 2, 1931, shows the planned extension
of Auville Yard. It is assumed the depression and World War II put off the
extension until 1953. The closest guess we have made on the closing of N&W
engine facilities at Wilcoe Yard is 1955, I would guess the new coaling
tower was built at Auville Yard in 1954 or 1955.

NWHS book “Dry Fork – Norfolk & Western Branch Line” has about 5 pages on
Auville Yard.

Alex Schust