1986 Dismal Swamp Accident Footage

Mon Feb 3 20:44:21 EST 2014

I had the good fortune of NOT being on that train. At the time, I was
carhost chairman for the Tidewater Chapter, NRHS. We worked almost all of
the excursion trains out of Norfolk. This particular weekend, I had gone
to Cass, WV for the annual Cass Railfan Weekend. I was on my way home when
I heard the news of the wreck.

As carhost chairman, I would spend much of my time walking the entire train
and checking on the carhosts in the various cars. Very typically, I would
have been in the Missionary Ridge, the car that turned over, as it passed
through the Dismal Swamp. Many of my friends were on the train and a
couple were injured rather severely.

I am so glad that I opted to go to Cass that year!

Jerry Kay