Middle Track Operation on the N&W

Fri Feb 7 07:11:28 EST 2014

You can have it, Abram!

While that era had a lot of nostalgic charm, and I can appreciate the
freedom that the train crews had, it was also a time when railroading
was the #1 most deadly job in the world. Look through any old
locomotive roster, and you'll find multiple references to locomotives
being damaged and rebuilt, or completely destroyed, in wrecks. Same
goes for rolling stock. When wrecks did happen, coal stoves overturned
and started fires that killed many people who survived the wreck. I
have read that you could tell how much experience a brakeman had by how
many fingers he had lost.

We tend to forget that all of those annoying nanny-devices like
telephones, radio, and CTC (or air brakes, or headlights, or knuckle
couplers, speed limits, etc...) had a lot to do with railroads being
both much safer and much more efficient. Even with all of the
restrictions, we can still move more freight today than anyone could
have dreamed of a hundred years ago.

Speaking as a professional railroader who enjoys coming home to my wife
in one piece as often as possible, you can have that era. As the saying
goes, nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Ken Rickman

--
Kenneth Rickman
Salisbury, NC

One thing about trains: It doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is deciding to get on.

---