Train Order Semaphores and the Interpretation Thereof

Mon Feb 10 20:42:08 EST 2014

A certain museum recently asked for a bit of guidance on the type of Train
Order semaphore to erect on its property. Since some information contained
in my response bears directly on the interpretation of things mentioned in
early N&W Rule Books and found in photographs of early N&W stations, I
thought I'd share it with the N&W List. And besides, the Shenandoah Valley
RR gets an honorable mention in the write up for a job well done. PDF
attached.

If anyone wants the PDF mentioned in the write up, containing two articles
by J. A. Anderson, published in the 1909 Journal of the Railway Signal
Association and dealing with the first interlocking and the first block
signal system in the USA, write me at: pravoslavna at gmail dot com
The same goes for Ashbel Welch's 1866 paper on "Safety Signals"... ask if
you want it.

-- abram burnett

Sent to you from my Telegraph Key...

Moderator: