2156

Fri Jun 20 08:38:38 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Jonah wrote:
> Hello to the list.  I am a volunteer tour guide at the St. Louis MOT.  No
> word on the start
> of the move; when I know (and am free to share); the list will know.  Next
> week, will find
> out any available info regarding route, schedule, etc.  Hoping to get photos
> / video too,
> when the move begins.

How much prep work needs to be done to get the Y ready to move? I
expect the rods will be dropped, but what else? Has it been moved or
maintained over the years? I know there were issues the first time the
611 was pulled from Wasena Park since it had been sitting still for so
many years, so a lot of work and care was necessary to ensure
free-moving running gear. This was not quite the issue this time,
since everything was kept lubed and the engine moved every so often.
What about gauge and curve issues along whatever route? I remember the
J had some problems on the balloon track in Norfolk because the curve
was too tight for the rigid wheelbase of the drivers; I seem to
remember there were some other places that caused (or could have
caused) problems since the track alignment had been changed from steam
days. Just curious.

Bruce in Blacksburg