2156

Sat Jun 21 13:14:30 EDT 2014

What about gauge and curve issues along whatever route? I remember theJ had some problems on the balloon track in Norfolk because the curvewas too tight for the rigid wheelbase of the drivers

Super-elevation is one consideration.  What with diesel locomotives which have a lower
center of gravity (I think), and no more passenger trains, NS has been able to reduce
the super and reduce maintenance costs.  At the time No. 4 (Eng 611) derailed at
Cedar, the super in the 13 degree curve was 4 1/2 inches.  Now it's 4 inches.  After
restoration, engine 611's maximum authorized speed through Cedar curve was 6 MPH,
and that's just one example.  So maybe the degree of curvature is a consideration.
Interruption in the flow of NS traffic is another.

Prior to excursions,   a "dope" sheet for each district was given to the crew showing
curve restrictions, consist,  and other info.

Now refresh my memory -- wasn't Eng 611 towed through the balloon track
at Lamberts Point by a diesel ?     Harry Bundy