Station drawings

Tue Nov 18 13:08:57 EST 2014

We have ICC Valuation Notebooks at the Archives. They are labeled as to
location and content and are generally structured around Division and
State. As an example Series 16VA for the Clinch Valley Line runs from
Graham Jct to Norton. There are 7 notebooks in the16VA series and they are
individually labeled. Structure Volumes normally refer to bridges. Building
volumes refer to Buildings. The one I have found to be useful are the
structures and building volumes. There are about 2800 hundred page of hand
written notes, filled out forms and some narratives. The Buildings Volume
has 600 pages.

There are few sketches/drawings of structures in the volumes. What you get
are dimensions, type of structure, age and some other data. Example
attached.

The challenge to using the ICC books are finding the series you want. As an
example Series 11WVA runs from Glen Lyn to Bluefield and it is the portion
of the Radford Div that is in WV. Series 13WVA is labeled from Bluefield to
Williamson, but does not include the approximate 5 mile segment of the
railroad in Virginia between Bluefield, VA to beyond Flat Top Yard. That
segment is include in Series 14VA which also includes Pocahontas.

There will be a story on ICC Valuations in 2015 in either eTAF or the Arrow
depending on the length.

One of our projects at the Archives is to develop a high level index to the
ICC Valuations. For example an index can be a simple as:

Series 16VA – Graham Jct to Norton – Structures Vol 2 of 2 – Branch Line
Bridges – Approximately 200 pages

Series 16VA – Graham Jct to Norton – Buildings – Account Numbers 16, 17,
18, 20 and 27 – Approximately 600 pages

The first step is to simply determine what the Division/Location series
applies to. Good job for a first time volunteer.

Alex Schust

Moderator:

Behalf Of *NW Mailing List