Station drawings

Tue Nov 18 16:09:24 EST 2014

This may be a stupid question, but in the station dimensions attached to Alex' e-mail, what does the following dimension mean:

13' +19.5'
      2

Thanks for the reply

Paul Mandelkern
Winter Park, Florida

Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:09 PM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: RE: Station drawings

We have ICC Valuation Notebooks at the Archives. They are labeled as to location and content and are generally structured around Division and State. As an example Series 16VA for the Clinch Valley Line runs from Graham Jct to Norton. There are 7 notebooks in the16VA series and they are individually labeled. Structure Volumes normally refer to bridges. Building volumes refer to Buildings. The one I have found to be useful are the structures and building volumes. There are about 2800 hundred page of hand written notes, filled out forms and some narratives. The Buildings Volume has 600 pages.

There are few sketches/drawings of structures in the volumes. What you get are dimensions, type of structure, age and some other data. Example attached.

The challenge to using the ICC books are finding the series you want. As an example Series 11WVA runs from Glen Lyn to Bluefield and it is the portion of the Radford Div that is in WV. Series 13WVA is labeled from Bluefield to Williamson, but does not include the approximate 5 mile segment of the railroad in Virginia between Bluefield, VA to beyond Flat Top Yard. That segment is include in Series 14VA which also includes Pocahontas.

There will be a story on ICC Valuations in 2015 in either eTAF or the Arrow depending on the length.

One of our projects at the Archives is to develop a high level index to the ICC Valuations. For example an index can be a simple as:

Series 16VA – Graham Jct to Norton – Structures Vol 2 of 2 – Branch Line Bridges – Approximately 200 pages
Series 16VA – Graham Jct to Norton – Buildings – Account Numbers 16, 17, 18, 20 and 27 – Approximately 600 pages

The first step is to simply determine what the Division/Location series applies to. Good job for a first time volunteer.

Alex Schust