Concrete Water Tank

Sun Feb 8 21:04:43 EST 2015

On 2/7/2015 8:25 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:
> This discussion can be carried to another level.
>
> A 200,000 gal water tank holds about 800 tons of water (200,000  gals
> X 8 lb gal = 800 tons.)  Spread that weight out over a dozen footers,
> and each footer must support (only) 66 tons of water + some additional
> load for the structure.
>
> That is not a lot of weight for a footer to carry, but I am wondering
> how footings were handled in places like the Dismal Swamp?  How deeply
> were they carried down, and how does one excavate to bed rock in a
> swamp...?
Actually it is a lot of weight...footers for residential and small
commercial structures here in sandy Delmarva are generally rated at
2000-3000 pounds per square foot of bearing area, below the frost line~
24" on undisturbed subsoil.  So the dozen footers above would each be 66
square feet (8x8 slab of reinforced concrete... )

Jim McDaniel, buildin' a barn