Concrete Water Tank

Sun Feb 8 21:07:27 EST 2015

Chief Engineer's drawing L-230, "Norfolk & Western Railroad [sic] Standard 200,000 and 250,000 Gallon Reinforced Concrete Water Tank," 6/17/19 (NWHS No. HS-D00252) that I mentioned in a previous posting shows a 9' - 6" wide circular footing with the bottom of the footing 6' - 6" below base of rail.  A "Detail of Footing where Piles Are Used" on the same drawing shows a 5' - 6" wide circular footing bearing on 50 piles (size not specified), with the bottom of the footer likewise 6' - 6" below base of rail.  A note under the latter detail reads, "If larger foundation is required than shown on drawing, size to be satisfactory to the Engineer of the N. and W. Railroad [sic]."

Gordon Hamilton
  Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2015 8:25 AM
  Subject: Re: Concrete Water Tank

  This discussion can be carried to another level.

  A 200,000 gal water tank holds about 800 tons of water (200,000  gals X 8 lb gal = 800 tons.)  Spread that weight out over a dozen footers, and each footer must support (only) 66 tons of water + some additional load for the structure.

  That is not a lot of weight for a footer to carry, but I am wondering how footings were handled in places like the Dismal Swamp?  How deeply were they carried down, and how does one excavate to bed rock in a swamp...?

  A 200,000 gal tank could fill twenty very old 10,000 gal tenders, ten modern 20,000 gal tenders, or 6.6  30,000 gal whopper tenders.  This makes me wonder about the re-fill rate.  Anyone know the hourly capacity of the steam, distillate engine and electric motor pumps which were, over the years, used to re-fill the N&W tanks?

  Some railroads had a Superintendent of Water Service.  Who, on the N&W, wore the King-Waterboy hat?  And did this function (water supply) fall under the Motive Power or the MW Department?

  -- abram burnett

  Sent to You from my Telegraph Key
      ... better than AT&T 4G LTE