SR - N&W merger

Mon Aug 10 21:35:06 EDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Pete wrote:

Since we were talking about mergers -

> 1.  What is the conventional wisdom as to who bought who?  I’m sure it was
> cast as a marriage of equals, but that’s rarely the case.
>
> 2.  Which was the surviving corporation in the legal sense?  Typically,
> one company is legally merged “into” the other and the other “survives” in
> the legal sense, even though names, etc ., change after the merger.

Well, the N&W doesn't exist any more.

The Norfolk & Western Railway Company went out of existence on or
about September 1, 1998, when the company was fully merged into Norfolk
Southern Railway Company. Per the STP filing, "Once NW is merged into NSR,
its separate corporate existence will cease."

See http://www.brucebharper.info/nwrwy/RIP-NW.html

Bruce in Blacksburg