Class J Shoppings after Jan 1956

Fri Aug 14 11:01:18 EDT 2015

Ken::
I didn't make it to Roanoke until the Fishwick administration. Not
Mr. Fishwick, but V.P -.Operations Dunlap commanded that each
officer in his department pledge 1% of his salary to the United Way,

Did I resent this ? No, but I didn't have kids
in school and I wasn't paying a mortgage. Mr. Dunlap policed
the pledges with a vengeance.  Pledge cards were distributed
early in September and had a "drop dead" date of Sept. 30th.
Rather than have the contribution trickle out of each pay check,
I was able to write a one-time check to cover the entire pledge.
One year, I was a little short and told the department's collector
that I'd have the check in on Sept. 30th (pay day).  Fine !
On the 15th, Dunlap called the department rep and wanted to
know where my pledge was.  He was told I made a one-time
contribution and the check would be written on the 30th.
Dunlap told him to have me post date the check and get it
to his office NOW.  What Dunlap didn't know was that some
of his officers turned in the appropriate pledge then several
months later, they'd call Payroll and have the deduction cancelled.

Officers on the Wabash had a supplemental retirement plan
that involved distribution of PRR stock.  At times, PRR stock was
selling for $120 - $130/share.  The employees could plan on
a well-funded retirement.  Then came PC..    Harry Bundy