Wandering Locomotives

Tue Aug 9 15:57:51 EDT 2016

Don:

I cannot speak from any kind of railroad authority, just as a fan observing from the late 1960s onward. It was only occasionally that I saw foreign power in Roanoke. It was really a rarity to see anything out of the ordinary on up into the early 1980s. I remember seeing Union Pacific, Southern Pacific, Santa Fe and D&H, but again, it was certainly not common, especially compared with today.

I know they were here on rare occasions, but I never personally saw any of the F units here. It was even unusual to see bay window cabs in the area. None of the crews liked them due to no cushion underframe and no visibility in the mountains.

Other folks may have had a different experience.

Best
Ken Miller