Hand powered derrick

Thu Feb 16 10:40:02 EST 2017

WJP:
Next trip to the archives, I'll attempt to find the proper
BV-588 (Bureau of Valuation).  Equipment is listed by
number, so I can't promise it will show.

Roanoke's East End Shops made modifications to
derricks, e.g. the boom from Norfolk Southern Rwy,
#901 was transferred to a former Southern derrick and
the left-overs were scrapped. Could be they modified
the hand-cranked NKP car.

Speaking of NKP derricks -- maybe you know, maybe
you didn't, but the derrick assigned to East Wayne was the
last operating steam derrick on N&W.  I do have a photo
of that one.   East Wayne Shop used it to right shifted loads.
                                                             Harry Bundy