middle siding signals

Wed Apr 19 08:26:02 EDT 2017

Jim,

     A restricting signal indicates the right to proceed at a
restricting speed. That aspect does not deal with geography, it deals
with trains ahead and track circuit continuity. It sits one position
above "stop and proceed", which only deals with trains ahead - you must
stop and then proceed at a restricting speed. Below that is "stop and
stay". If there is a yellow plate with the letter "G" on it below the
signal head displaying "Stop and stay" on the mast, a train on an
ascending grade can pass the signal without the stop, ready to stop
short of a train ahead. All the above very fine delineations of keeping
your speed safely in check.

     From the photo, I cannot tell what track the furthest EB signal
controls. If it has a dummy mast to one side of it, it may control the
center siding, and most likely be like an interlocking home signal and
not have any aspect allowing a stop and proceed.

     Wm J Powers

On 4/19/2017 6:54 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:
> I believe the attached photo may show the West end of the middle
> siding at Villamont (confirmation would be appreciated).  My question
> concerns the East-bound signals that are visible.  The signal for the
> East-bound main is capable of displaying the RESTRICTING aspect while
> the one for the West-bound main is not.  In my understanding, one
> reason for the RESTRICTING aspect was to allow a train to proceed
> without coming to a complete stop on  a grade where it might have been
> very hard to start again.  Since this stretch is signalled for
> bi-directional running, why would the signal for the West bound main
> not also be capable of showing RESTRICTING?  It seems like the grade
> would have been the same for East-bound movements regardless of which
> main they were using.  Any thoughts?
> Thanks, Jim Cochran
>
> Moderator:

---