Blackford Turn

Mon Jul 3 23:32:19 EDT 2017

A daylight job, the Blackford Turn first worked out of Honaker and later
out of Bluefield until it was cut off in 1955. It ran 2-3 days a week,
often on Fridays and less during the winter and hot part of the summer.
Towards the end, the consist was no more than about six N&W stock cars
and a cab, all larger than the engine, a Class G1 due to bridge loading.

Having stopped at Richlands for coal and water, it pulled into the
Honaker station siding where the engine cut off, ran around to couple to
the cab and pulled the consist, backing onto the branch to a switchback,
then shoved forward down to Blackford. There were only two stub tracks,
empties to load, three cars at a time of cattle or sheep.

It could take on water at Blackford and pulled 3-4 loads back to Honaker
at a time due to grades and grass. On the way back to Bluefield, it
would turn the engine at Cedar Bluff. If it left Honaker ahead of 88, it
would get in the clear at Richlands, having set off the loads for 88 to
put on the head end, then make better time running light back to Bluefield.

Grant Carpenter