Ingleside to Kellysville

Tue Dec 19 14:47:42 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017, at 6:22 PM,
Jim
 wrote:

Harry, All,
> Is route 38/5 (Blake/Jugneck road) navigable in this area?  I'd like to
> get some pictures along there if I can drive it.

​If you look at Google Maps, it shows WV 38/5 as a through road. If you
look at the definitive source, the West Virginia Department of Highways map
of Mercer County (
http://gis.transportation.wv.gov/GISCountyMaps/MercerSheet%202.pdf), you
probably can't get through from one end to the other unless you have a
4-wheel drive vehicle, if at all.​ The WVDOT map shows the east end running
from WV 112 at Ingleside going to Blake, following the East River and the
N&W tracks. It starts as a paved road then is shown as gravel. Just beyond
Blake it turns into a "primitive road" that continues along the tracks and
the river, passing under I-77, and connecting to the west end of 38/5 that
runs from WV 112 just east of Ada. The road goes from primitive to gravel
to paved. It has been a while since I was back up in to Blake but I seem to
remember that the state road became a maintainer's road -- which might lead
to issues of trespassing (given the tighter enforcement by NS these days).
If you or someone does make it to/through there, please let the list know.

Bruce in Blacksburg (map and road geek in addition to rail enthusiast)