The Walton Construction Company of Roanoke

Tue Feb 20 17:55:11 EST 2018

Earlier on I offered a suggestion that the "Walton Cut Off" on the Radford Division may have been so named due to the Walton Construction Company which did the grading and tunneling work.

Railway Age, vol. 93, 1932, pp.636 and 668, mentions the Walton Construction Company as being engaged in the re-building of Allegheny and White Sulphur Tunnels on the C&O, and identifies the company as being "of Roanoke."  Which I find quite interesting.  Wonder if this may have been another company operated by David Flickwir?

Someone in Roanoke who is blessed with curiosity could probably figure out in rather sort order just who was behind the Walton Construction Company of Roanoke.

-- abram burnett