Generational Differences and Historical Societies

Mon Jun 4 08:23:50 EDT 2018

Hi all:

I've been reading this conversation with mixed feelings. As a "lurker" on
this group for some time, it strikes me that most societies (and actually
business and industries too) fail to understand is that their organizations
have had a very short-sighted view of their younger members could
contribute.

I am a "Generation X" member, Gen-X'ers were born between 1964 and 1984, we
are between the Baby Boomers and the younger Millennials and Generation Z.
We've been described as a cynical group and rather self-centered. I suppose
that's very true, but for a reason.

I've been a part of museum groups and historical societies since I was old
enough to join, but, I quickly learned that those groups could care less
about new ideas, new members, and differing points of view. Many times I
heard "well this is the way it's done and we're not changing it". Growing
up next to the Columbus District, I was really interested in the far
western end of the N&W operations and the rich history of the Scioto
Valley. It just seemed like all of my interested and inquiries fell into
silence.

Also, it felt like any opportunities to try to lead were squelched by older
members who apparently felt they'd live forever, and, if you're not related
to so and so, or have contributed to so and so, then well, your opinion
didn't matter.

To that end, after a while, people get turned off by this approach. I lost
interest in contributing, decided not to rejoin various membership and just
decided to sit back behind the scenes.

I find it ironic now that those very members that subjugated us younger
folks now are desperate to have us be engaged. Yeah, call me cynical...but
it is what it is...

Thanks for letting me vent...

Eric