Generational Differences and Historical Societies

Mon Jun 4 11:25:45 EDT 2018

As a charter member of the society, I think I knew some of the people who must have "squelched" Eric. I had to learn to deal with some personalities I would not have chosen as intimate friends. But there were others who were very constructive, and that, along with my passion for N&W, kept me active in the society. For whatever reason, this hobby attracts a number of crazies and egotists. I have put up with them for the sake of the good relationships I have. Also, it is better now than it used to be. Working on the mailing list, it took me awhile to remember that there are no "dumb" questions. Just because I think something is common knowledge, it doesn't mean that everyone is there yet. So I try to answer questions without "talking down." But I am sure that is a "learned" skill. So be patient with us, Eric. We are all flawed human beings, but it is still worth belonging to the society.
Jim Nichols

 Hi all:
I've been reading this conversation with mixed feelings. As a "lurker" on this group for some time, it strikes me that most societies (and actually business and industries too) fail to understand is that their organizations have had a very short-sighted view of their younger members could contribute.

I am a "Generation X" member, Gen-X'ers were born between 1964 and 1984, we are between the Baby Boomers and the younger Millennials and Generation Z. We've been described as a cynical group and rather self-centered. I suppose that's very true, but for a reason.
I've been a part of museum groups and historical societies since I was old enough to join, but, I quickly learned that those groups could care less about new ideas, new members, and differing points of view. Many times I heard "well this is the way it's done and we're not changing it". Growing up next to the Columbus District, I was really interested in the far western end of the N&W operations and the rich history of the Scioto Valley. It just seemed like all of my interested and inquiries fell into silence.

Also, it felt like any opportunities to try to lead were squelched by older members who apparently felt they'd live forever, and, if you're not related to so and so, or have contributed to so and so, then well, your opinion didn't matter.

To that end, after a while, people get turned off by this approach. I lost interest in contributing, decided not to rejoin various membership and just decided to sit back behind the scenes.

I find it ironic now that those very members that subjugated us younger folks now are desperate to have us be engaged. Yeah, call me cynical...but it is what it is...
Thanks for letting me vent...
Eric