Clean out tracks

Tue Dec 4 09:43:32 EST 2018

Jim

The clean out tracks at Shaffers Crossing was just west of the engine
terminal on the South side.  The old stock pen was in the same area.

Re excessive super elevation.  Not sure on this.  Could be that the area
between the tracks were worn down by removal of some dirt every time
they ran machines to clean up the debris.  On the other hand it could
have been by design to keep those rats from jumping in the open box cars.

I was only at the clean out tracks three times.  One time to show me as
a new employee where they were, one time to check on the location of a
car and another to check out some interesting junk to see if it had
potential use.  When you were at the location you had to watch every
step.  There were plenty of nails and rats to avoid at all cost.  I
never did see a rail fan with a camera taking any photos in this area.

As for me, I would rather walk through the stock pens than the clean out
tracks.

Several years after my clean out experience when I was in the Traffic
Dept. we put in charges for cleaning out cars.  This was a tariff charge
that required all empty cars be cleaned by the customer before releasing
the car to the carrier as an empty.  The only exception was dunnage used
to block and brace the load being returned to the original shipping
origin.  This eliminated the need to operate the massive clean out tracks.

Jim Blackstock