Tonnage reduction with temperature falling

Mon Dec 17 14:14:24 EST 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 10:50 AM Josh wrote:

But these limitations were most likely multi-pronged.  In diesel years the
> colder temperatures lower the available pressure of the air in the brake
> system (also an issue during the steam era).  The compressors on the lead
> locomotives will wear themselves out trying to maintain brake pipe pressure
> to the point you start bursting rubber hoses which are already made more
> brittle by the lower temperatures..  Putting locomotives mid- or rear-train
> will help alleviate this.  Canadian National (CP possibly too) has
> mid-train heater cars that they run in the winter to help keep the brake
> lines warm and charged.

I can't remember where I saw it (Arrow, on this list, somewhere?) about an
N&W compressor car that was used mid-train to overcome this problem. I
don't remember if it was because the car was about to meet its demise or if
there was a spotting of it somewhere (like stashed around the East End
shops in Roanoke). Any details/remembrance?

Bruce in Blacksburg