Tonnage reduction with temperature falling

Mon Dec 17 16:59:32 EST 2018

Josh,

Good info. Knuckles more prone to break in cold weather . . . so reduce tonnage. Sounds like a reasonable factor to me. Is this the experience of those on the list who operated?

I don’t see how cold temperatures would create “Lower steam pressures means less usable energy in the available steam”. I don’t believe NW steam locos would have run at lower than standard operating steam pressures due to cold weather. It may have taken a little more coal to achieve and maintain operating pressures but that would not have required tonnage reduction, maybe just an extra stop for coal.

John Garner, Newport VA