Switch vs. shift

Wed Dec 26 22:50:18 EST 2018

Mr. Burnett,

Interesting, because I have not heard "switch" and its variations used
on the Pocahontas Division. "Switch" only referred to the moving part of
a turnout and a switch list.

First, tipple jobs were broadly referred to as "mine runs," "mine
shifters" less so, although this term was used in the timetable.
Individually, tipple jobs were called "Runs" or "Shifters." Local
passenger jobs were "Runs." Freight "Locals" worked the main and shorter
runs like your "Switcher" were "Shifters," plus at least one "Turn" and
a "Goat."

Instead of "switch," you might "shift" a tipple or other customer, but
you more likely "worked" it, or specifically, "delivered" or "pulled" it.

Grant Carpenter