Rohrer Mines

Mon Jan 21 12:17:29 EST 2019

Mr. Deputy Curmudgeon (Abram) -

I regret having a full-time job sometimes, because I keep missing Jim
Blackstock at the archives on Thursdays and Fridays. As a result, Gordon
Hamilton and I have spent quite a few Saturday mornings without his input
looking at this very issue of the Rorer narrow gauge ceasing operations at
Wasena after the R&S is established.

I don't have great recall of the exact dates we figured out, but I believe
we determined from N&W annual reports that the Rorer Mines connection is
made early on. Those are leased lines at the time, so there's not a lot of
description about how much money was spent or what was involved. We just
see the appearance of "Rorer Mines" or somesuch reference to Rorer. I also
have other accounts by Raymond Barnes that confirms this change as
happening somewhere in the mid-1890s. But we all know Barnes was subject to
review....

One conundrum we never figured out is how the two disparate gauges of the
Belt Line and the Narrow Gauge crossed each other at present day Wasena
Park. One day, I dragged Gordon through the woods and weeds and snakes and
chiggers to look for where we thought these two lines may have crossed. So
far, we believe we know approximately where they should have crossed, but
we have not seen any drawings (yet) of how this diamond may have looked.

Stephen Warren
Roanoke