East End Tower, Roanoke, in 1895

Wed Mar 6 19:50:07 EST 2019

Abe

I think you are on the money.  Below are stations East of the passenger
station at Roanoke from various time periods.  Tinker creek Jct. showed
up in 1963.  East Roanoke was listed as late as 1929. I have not seen
any miles to Roanoke from either station. We would need miles to see if
Tinker Creek Jct. was actually East of East Roanoke. The station numbers
are from different time periods and do not indicate actual location.
Just a guess on location.

	737
	Tinker Creek Jct. 	VA
740

	East Roanoke 	VA 	RO
754 	740
	252.3 	Roanoke	VA 	JN, MH

Not sure why there was a Tinker Creek Jct. at any time period.  I do
remember in the late 50's there were two bridges over Rt. 460.  Heading
east out of Roanoke the first bridge was for the Shenandoah line to
Roanoke.  The next bridge perhaps 75 feet east on 460 carried a track to
the East End of the Shops that ran behind American Bridge Works and the
old scrap wharf.  Not sure if this track ever connected with the lines
to the Norfolk Division at the East end of Roanoke Shops.  But if Tinker
Creek Jct. is any indication, there was a connection.  No idea what it
would have been used for other than American Bridge traffic.

Don't know anything about East Roanoke other that they had an operator
and the call was RO.  If the building was actually a tower I would
assume the operator could throw the switches from the building. I would
guess the tower or building would be on the north side of the tracks at
East Roanoke.

Like you too many guesses on this..  I think we have discussed JN at
some time.

Jim Blackstock