East End Tower, Roanoke, in 1895

Thu Mar 7 09:58:45 EST 2019

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019, at 7:07 AM Jim wrote:

> Abe
>
> I think you are on the money.  Below are stations East of the passenger
> station at Roanoke from various time periods.  Tinker creek Jct. showed up
> in 1963.
> Not sure why there was a Tinker Creek Jct. at any time period.  I do
> remember in the late 50's there were two bridges over Rt. 460.  Heading
> east out of Roanoke the first bridge was for the Shenandoah line to
> Roanoke.  The next bridge perhaps 75 feet east on 460 carried a track to
> the East End of the Shops that ran behind American Bridge Works and the old
> scrap wharf.  Not sure if this track ever connected with the lines to the
> Norfolk Division at the East end of Roanoke Shops.  But if Tinker Creek
> Jct. is any indication, there was a connection.  No idea what it would have
> been used for other than American Bridge traffic.

Tinker Creek Jct. is the connection to the N&W for the Tinker Creek
Connector, which runs south along Tinker Creek to connect to the Virginian
near the sewerage treatment plant. It is an eastbound to eastbound
connection.

There is in GOB East in the Johnson correspondence files a folder on
"Interlocking Plant at Roanoke Passenger Station" from 1904 (Box 20, folder
637). I don't remember what exactly is in the folder, but if I make it to
the work session this month I'll give it a look to see if it mentions East
End Tower or anything else interesting.

Bruce in Blacksburg