VGN #800

Mon Apr 1 13:01:21 EDT 2019

I haven't seen a post on this subject yet today. I bring it to your attention because I believe it worthy to remember the souls lost on this day 78 years ago on our Virginian Railway.
At approximately 5:20 am on April 1, 1941 Engineer John (Goldie) Dudding, Fireman Meade Brown and Head Brakeman Hollie Harrison lost their lives when the mammoth 800, Class AE 2-10-10-2 blew up between Stewartsville and Goodview, VA.
The story has been recalled many times, so I will not go into details now. For more details you may go to H. Reid's VIRGINIAN RAILWAY, Kalmbach Publishing, 1961, pages 92-95.
Jeff Sanders