VGN #800

Mon Apr 1 16:46:56 EDT 2019

My good friend the late Clyde Weatherly was the operator at JK Tower that morning and handed up the orders to the 800.  Weatherly said that the brakeman caught the orders because Dudding was already asleep braced against the cab window frame.  Weatherly also said that Dudding was known for enjoying the big city of Roanoke and getting his rest on his way home to Victoria.  This was the fireman’s first trip east; he fired the 800 west from Victoria and did not want to work it back but there was no one else in town.  After Weatherly got off work, he went to Stewartsville to the scene and it was not pretty.  I remember his description of Dudding’s remains which was graphic and not suitable for a family chat room.

- Ed King