2114 explosion

Thu Apr 4 22:24:40 EDT 2019

The head brakeman was riding in the tender doghouse and was found walking in
a daze near the front of the engine.  He told me some about the incident,
but I didn't have enough sense at that time to ask him for more details.
The 2114 had been reported with injector problems on its westward trip to
Clare.  Some fishermen fishing under a trestle west of Eastwood reported
being soaked by water as the engine passed, evidently overflow that wasn't
being picked up by the injector.  I don't remember whether the water pump
was OK or not; evidently it was not, because that should have been the
primary water supplier while working on the road.

The engineer was a noted low-water man and seemed to want to continue to be
on an engine with known injector and water pump problems.

There was a telegraph pole in the vicinity which had a short length of pipe
with a 45-degree ell on the end of it sticking out, a souvenir of the power
of steam.  I noted it every trip past Eastwood when I was riding on the
south side of an engine.

Ed King - ARFE Portsmouth, 1962-1965.