2114 explosion

Fri Apr 5 08:29:52 EDT 2019

British engines were generally fitted with lead plugs in copper riveted
fire boxes, boiler pressure seldom exceeded 250psi.  Plug failure was
supposed to extinguish the fire, though steam escape through firebars and
firebox doors was a side effect.  US engines had steel welded fire boxes
with boiler pressure up to 300psi.  I do not know what material was used
for fusible plugs on US engines.  Though it was not uncommon for plugs to
melt on British engines with very few explosions, it would seem that boiler
explosions were more common in the US.  Perhaps a lower melting point plug
material may have helped.
Regards,
Richard Hood